A Challah French Toast That Can’t be Improved Upon

All cooks carry certain recipes in their hearts; they’re the ones we make to celebrate time and time again. Change is inevitable, but these recipes stay the same—and my dad’s challah bread french toast is one of them.

My Father's Challah Bread French Toast

My Father’s Challah Bread French Toast

My father taught me how to make his french toast when I was a kid; it was probably the first recipe that I ever learned. Pillowy, soft, and subtly sweet, it came to take on extra meaning for me because we’d always make it together.

My father’s version plays on brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla—and to help prevent the butter from burning while the toast is cooking, he adds a thin layer of canola oil to the skillet first. While everything cooks, he warms a small pot of maple syrup. To this day, I believe there’s no greater act of thoughtfulness than giving someone warm maple syrup with their breakfast.

The fact that my father’s challah bread french toast tastes exactly the same today as it did years ago is part of why I enjoy it so much—sometimes, the best thing you can do to a recipe is not to change it at all.

Dcd3a95d-b898-454a-af6d-eaf76e5ff341--2016-0315_challah-bread-french-toast_linda-xiao-403

My Father’s Challah Bread French Toast

By Josh Cohen

View Full Recipe

What recipes do you carry with you, unchanged? Let us know in the comments!

This article was written by Josh Cohen from Food52 and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.