What Should Your 2017 Marketing Focus Be?

tropical area in asia

Well, it’s that time again. This year is on its way out and a new one is fast approaching. New years are like new beginnings. We get a chance to try something new and even start over if needed. The new year also brings with it trends, predictions, and assumptions. The week’s question is all about 2017 and what our core focus should be for growing our businesses in the new year.

The question comes from Ryan Conway:

“If you could only pick one thing to focus on to grow your business in 2017 what would it be?”

If I could only pick one thing to focus on, it would be creating authentic connections. Connections lead to conversions and growth. The great thing about the internet is we have a ton of ways to create connections. Check out the video below to learn more.

Wistia video thumbnail - Marketing for 2017

Can’t See the Video? Click Here.

Video Transcript:

Ho ho ho. Hey, what’s going on everybody? Happy Holidays. I’m Ryan Shelley, and this is the SMA Marketing Minute. This week we’re going to be tackling the question about planning for 2017 and what one thing we should all be focusing on. Get ready. This episode’s going to be a whole lot of fun.

Hey, I want to give a shout out to Twitter for that awesome holiday box you sent us. We’ve had a whole lot of fun around here wearing the hats and taking funny pictures so thank you so much. Now, let’s get into our question. Today’s question comes from Ryan Conway, and it’s “If we could focus on one single thing for marketing our business in 2017, what would it be?” Now, normally I would say “Well, it depends on your business,” and kind of go to look at your percentiles and angles. Here’s the thing I think we all need to focus on for 2017. It’s not just creating content, but it’s creating authentic connections online with our content.

We’ve just seen an overload of content on the Internet. People are just posting and posting and posting, and there’s a lot of reasons behind that because you know if we post more content, there’s more opportunities to get rankings. If we get more rankings, we get more traffic. Get more traffic, we make more money. Really the whole goal isn’t really creating connections, it’s about trying to drive visitors and hopefully increase sales.

Now, I’m all for sales. I’m all for business growth, but really the Internet’s main purpose is to connect with people. So whatever medium or whatever form of content you’re really good at, the goal for 2017 is to be creating good content that’s going to actually engage your audience. For me, I’m placing a lot of emphasis on video in 2017. I like shooting videos. I like editing videos. I like being on camera so I’m putting a lot of emphasis on creating videos, videos that are going to help – that are going to actually help people take action and grow their businesses online.

For you, it may be something different. Maybe you’re a great writer. Well spend some time and plan out some awesome content, and then reach out to your communities. I think 2017’s going to be a really big year for video, but I also think it’s going to be a really big year for one-to-one marketing. People going back and actually creating authentic one-to-one connections; being social on social media instead of just aggregating content. Yes, we post a lot of content on social. I try to do my best to engage on social and really have those conversations because that’s what social media is for. So 2017’s goal: I would hedge your bet on finding out who you are, finding out what your strength is as far as content goes. Then create a lot of really valuable content that speaks to individuals.

I hope that answers your question, Ryan. If you guys have any more questions, please submit your questions on the link below. We’d love to answer those and stay engaged. Have an awesome week. Have an awesome holiday with your family, and we’ll see you next week right here on the SMA Marketing Minute.

Hey, thanks so much for checking out this video. It really means a lot. If you like what you saw, please hit the subscribe button below. That way every time I post a new video, you’ll be one of the first people to know. You can also check us out on our website where I write blogs every single week, or follow us on Twitter and Facebook. Thanks for connecting with us, and happy marketing.

This article originally appeared in SMA Marketing.

This article was written by Ryan Shelley from Business2Community and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network.