We Asked Health Experts to Share the Worst Nutrition Advice They’ve Ever Heard

Greatist
Greatist

Fill half your plate with produce. Make sure every meal has a complex carb, lean protein, and healthy fat. Steer clear of foods made with unrecognizable ingredients.

There’s a lot of smart advice out there on how to eat healthy. But there are also a ton of misleading/confusing/outrageous tips that can make us feel crazy. What and who do we believe? We asked seven wellness experts to tell us the worst nutrition advice they’ve ever heard—and what they think you should be doing instead.

1. Eating a pint of Ben & Jerry’s is the same as eating a bag of avocados.

This is wrong—and scary! The quality of your food is just as important as the quality, and if you don’t take both into consideration, both weight loss and maintenance are going to be hard. Just think about a bowl of sugary cereal with two pieces of white toast and butter, versus two eggs with sautéed greens, kimchi, and a bowl of fresh berries. Both breakfasts might have a similar number of calories. But nutritionally speaking, they couldn’t be more different.

—Sarah Ball, certified heath coach and owner of SCB Health Coaching

2. Eating after 7 p.m. can make you fat.

Your best bet is to listen to your body. Honor and respect those hunger and fullness signals and experiment with what helps you feel your best. That might mean reconsidering late-night meals or planning a light snack before bed. It’s not one size fits all.

Just be mindful of your choices, the same way you would be during other times of the day. People are often prone to making less healthy choices at night, especially if they tried to be “good” all day. Or they overeat because they skipped meals throughout the day.

Adina Pearson, registered dietician and intuitive eating counselor

3. You can eat whatever you want, as long as you exercise.

To reap the benefits of your workout, it’s best to follow a balanced diet. Stick to whole foods 80 percent of the time, then the other 20 percent of the time, enjoy the less healthy stuff you just can’t live without.

Erin Clifford, certified holistic health coach and owner of Erin Clifford Wellness Coaching

4. Skip the sugar and go for artificial sweeteners instead.

Research shows artificial sweeteners can interfere with your microbiome and increase the risk for obesity. Plus, they mess with your mind and your appetite. To the brain, sweet tastes are supposed to signal you’re consuming a source of energy-boosting carbs. But artificial sweeteners don’t deliver that energy. So you end up feeling less satisfied—and may be driven to eat more.

You’re better off sticking with small quantities of real sweeteners—such as honey or maple syrup—instead.

—Jan Patenaude, registered dietician

5. You don’t need a multivitamin if you’re overweight.

All individuals should focus on balancing each plate with a serving of fruit or vegetables, a lean protein, a whole grain, and a healthy fat. If you need to fill in the gaps, a daily multivitamin can help—regardless of your body weight.

Erin Palinski-Wade, registered dietician, author of Belly Fat Diet for Dummies

6. If it works for your friend/coworker/favorite celebrity/dog, it will work for you.

Paleo diet or tried macro counting doesn’t mean you should too.

To eat the right way for your genetic makeup, you need to follow an individualized approach. Finding your own perfect way of eating helps ensure you can actually stick to it—and eat that way for the rest of your life.

—Julie Upton, registered dietician and cofounder of Appetite for Health

7. Juice cleanses “cleanse” your body.

Plus, you’ll likely lose muscle mass or water weight instead of fat. And the weight will come right back when you go back to your regular diet, since the body will work as hard as possible to rebuild the stores that have been depleted.

If you feel you need to cleanse or detox, have a green smoothie for breakfast followed by two plant-based meals that have a balance of protein, fats, and carbs.

-Eliza Savage, registered dietician with Middleberg Nutrition

Editor’s note: The opinions presented in this article are the wellness experts’ personal views and should not be treated as medical advice.

This article was written by Marygrace Taylor from Greatist and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.