(HealthDay News) — A space heater provides comforting warmth during the cold days of winter, but it can also pose a significant fire hazard.
The Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security offers these space-heater safety tips:
- Look for a heater that’s tested by Underwriters Laboratories or similar.
- Place your heater at least 3 feet from any furniture, drapes or other flammable items.
- Make sure the heater is on a level surface and in a safe place where no one is likely to bump into it.
- Avoid using an extension cord. If you must use one, make sure it is heavy duty and has a power rating that is a compatible with the rating on the heater.
- Carefully supervise any pets or children near a heater.
- Only use a heater for temporary heating, and never leave it running while you are not home or while sleeping.
Copyright © 2014 HealthDay. All rights reserved.