The Fluffy Eggs That Have Taken Over Instagram (and My Heart)

suthep onsrithong

Over the past few days, I’ve been seeing an increasing number of cloud eggs on Instagram. They’re pretty little things, sunny pearls of yolk ensconced by pillowy whites, and they look an awful lot like meringues.

🍳☁️🍞 #EggInACloud #EggCloud #CloudEgg #CloudEggs #CloudToast

A post shared by Kristi Farinelli (@kristifarinelli) on May 7, 2017 at 11:52am PDT

They’re created by separating the yolks from the whites, whisking the whites furiously, placing the fluffy whipped whites in a on a baking tray with concave dips for the yolks, seating the yolks back in those pouches, and baking them in the oven at 350°F until they’re golden and firm. (Some instructions have you bake the whites, sans yolks, for five to eight minutes and then add the yolks in before baking them for a bit longer in the oven. Pick your poison.)

There’s precisely nothing new about cooking your eggs this way, but it’s a method that has gained so much traction on Instagram over the past few weeks that it’s been fermented into what we’d call a “trend,” permeating even the Today Show, that most mainstream of outlets. At the very least, it’s inspired a coterie of images on Instagram that are pretty striking. Cloud eggs have been photographed lovingly in different milieus—beds of greens, milky-white plates, pale slices of toast. Another day, another food fad that’s swallowed social media. But I’m not mad at it.

My first attempt making cloud eggs. They look pretty good if I may say so and so delicious. 😋 #myfirstattempt #cloudeggs #eggfast #lchf #lowcarb #highfat #ketogenicdiet #ketolifestyle #ketodiet #ketosis #ketogenic #keto

A post shared by Ketoliciousness (@ketoliciousness) on May 7, 2017 at 5:16am PDT

Cloud ☁️ eggs 🍳. The latest food 🥘 craze! HOW TO MAKE CLOUD EGGS Separate the eggs’ yolks from the whites and place each in different bowls. Whisk the whites until they are of a fluffy, thick consistency. Add any extra ingredients and then fold in. Place the egg white mix into piles on a baking sheet – leave a hole for the yolk. Bake in pre-heated oven at 230°C for between five and eight minutes. Remove from oven and put the yolk in the hole, bake for three more minutes. Take out of oven and serve. Enjoy! Coach Lindsay 🦄. #protein #fitness #nutrition #foodie #mompreneuer #foodporn🍴 #mamawithmuscles #healthyfood #healthy #food #tastethetalk #fit #eatclean #motivation #gym #workout #lifestyle #yummy #muscle #girlswholift #healthyeating #fitfam #delicious #yum #foodlover #eat #breakfast #monday #cloudeggs

A post shared by Lindsay Starnes (@fitness_bomber) on May 8, 2017 at 7:22am PDT

I was contacted yesterday morning by BBC Scotland to give my opinion on the cloud eggs craze. Trouble was I’d heard of them but thought it was a bit of a faff so hadn’t bothered making them. Silly woman! They are super easy and fun to make. I’m sure kids will adore them too. I had some leftover dal and made a batch of eggs to float on top. Oh my days, best decision! I’m sure it’s fab with toast and avos and other breakfasts bits, but trust me, dal is the way to go. Cheeky nigella seed naan too. Btw, I cooked a small batch for slightly less time, refrigerated them and popped the eggs in a hot oven for 2 minutes so Andrew could enjoy them later too. Recipe #ontheblog. #linkinbio 😙😙🐣🐣🍳🍳🍽🍽💛💛🌞🌞 #cloudeggs #breakfastgram #healthyeats #getinmybelly #organicfood #healthybalance #eatwelllivewell #healthylunch #lentils #recipedevelopment #vegetariansofig #eggsforbreakfast #dal #bonappetit #huffposttaste #saveur

A post shared by Kellie Anderson (@food_to_glow) on May 9, 2017 at 2:12am PDT

Eggs on a Cloud Operation make eggs more interesting underway. I saw this on @ketoliciousness IG page. This was pretty good….you gotta add spices or cheese to the whipped whites for flavour. I added parmasan cheese, Himalayan salt and pepper. #EggOnACloud #CloudEggs #eggs #eggfast #keto #ketogenic #ketosis #hflc

A post shared by Anthony (@kensingtony) on May 8, 2017 at 8:27am PDT

I made some baked eggs and they look like clouds, plus they were delicious #eggs #bakedeggs #cloudeggs #breakfast

A post shared by Hannah Savage (@hannahsavage1208) on May 8, 2017 at 5:40am PDT

Had to try cloud eggs for my lunch today! So yummy! You whisk the white and bake in the oven then add the yolk for the last few minutes! Definitely going to try these out on the kids later. Served with wild garlic, kale, carrot, pepper and mushroom in coconut oil with a sprinkle of coriander. 🍽

A post shared by Rachel Howell (@nutribalance_rachel_howell) on May 8, 2017 at 4:45am PDT

Joining the craze for work #cloudeggs #eggsinacloud #eggsonacloud #eggsinclouds #crispy #yolk #foodporn #eggporn #yummy

A post shared by What The Kieran (@wtkieran) on May 8, 2017 at 10:54am PDT

I’m loving Cloud Eggs with chives at the moment . . #cloudeggs #eggs #eggwhites #eggyolk #cloudegg #craze #breakfast #lunchbox #mondaymorning #brunch #baked

A post shared by Lara Besbrode (@larabesbrode) on May 7, 2017 at 2:13pm PDT

I don’t normally Instagram my breakfast (okay that’s not entirely true…) but when I do it’s because I made myself avocado toast and cloud eggs and I get to eat it sitting down 🙌🏻🍳☁️ #brekkie #cloudeggs #avocado #avocadotoast #sometimesicook #momlife #sogood

A post shared by Jenny Witte O’Keefe (@mamatoga) on May 8, 2017 at 6:46am PDT

See more cloud eggs here—and let us know how you make (or photograph!) yours in the comments.

This article was written by Mayukh Sen from Food52 and was legally licensed through the NewsCred publisher network. Please direct all licensing questions to legal@newscred.com.